Keeping you and your family safety is a big deal. But sometimes, its the little changes you make that add up to a big difference. We’ve collected these residential security tips to help every member of the family feel safe and secure.
HERE ARE SEVERAL HOME SECURITY TIPS TO HELP YOU AND YOUR FAMILY STAY SAFE:
- Inspect smoke and carbon monoxide detectors for dust and lint build up that can hinder sensors.
- Whether you are buying, building or just remodeling your home make sure to select roofing that is fire resistant.
- If possible, install a locked mailbox at your home and never put outgoing mail containing personal information in an unsecured out-box or in your mailbox for pick up.
- To help prevent tipping off burglars, if you plan to be away from home for an extended period of time, set your phone ringer to the lowest volume.
- Never leave notes on your door for service people or visitors when you are not home. It’s a signal to burglars that the home is empty.
- Do not use indoor extension cords outdoors. A safe outdoor cord will read “Suitable for Use with Outdoor Appliances.”
- If your power goes out, a full freezer can hold food safely for up to 48 hours.
- It is recommended to have interconnected smoke alarms. These alarms are linked together; if one alarm is triggered they all go off.
- Never attempt to charge non-rechargeable batteries. Attempting to recharge non-rechargeable batteries could cause the batteries to explode.
- Oily rags can easily combust, even without being exposed directly to a flame. Hang them outside to dry, and then throw them away in a metal can with a lid when finished.
- Landscaping is an important deterrent. If you live in a warm climate, thorny bushes like roses and bougainvillea can deter window break-ins.
- If you live in a cold climate, make sure to clear sidewalks and the driveway of snow so burglars can see the home is occupied.
- Other visual deterrents are signs like “Beware of Dog” or “Security Cameras in Use.” Security company yard signs are also effective.
- When traveling, always tell a trusted neighbor you are going out of town and stop all newspapers and mail delivery.
- Turn down the volume of telephones and answering machines so burglars can’t hear when there isn’t an answer indicating no one is home.
- Don’t post pictures of your vacation on social media until after you return home.
Original article here: Home Security Tips.
Related Video Here: 21 tips to increase & enhance your home security
If you want to avail affordable locksmith services, call Locksmith Pro Berwyn now!